Aug 13, 2022
PEDH 152 - Team Sports I
Credit Hours: 1
Lecture Hours: 2
Laboratory Hours: 0
This course introduces students to the fundamentals of football and basketball. The focus is on the following aspects of each sport: techniques, tactics, rules, game strategy, selection and care of equipment, safety, scouting, and an appreciation of participation in the sport. The games approach will be used to develop the learning process. Exposure to proper methodology and developmentally appropriate activities will help prepare students for subsequent teaching experience. Students will apply their knowledge by teaching one activity in each unit of the class.
Student Learning Outcomes of the Course: The student will
- Develop an understanding and appreciation for the sports of football and basketball.
- Develop basic skills in basketball and football in order to be able to demonstrate as an instructor (NASPE: 1.2)
- Understand the philosophy of football and basketball.
- Become familiar with the history of football and basketball.
- Analyze the strategy of football and basketball.
- Gain an understanding of the rules for football and basketball.
- Analyze different techniques used in football and basketball.
- Gain knowledge of skill development through participation in drills.
- Apply the game centered approach by creating and teaching an activity to the class. (NASPE: 4.1)