AECT 150 - Statics & Strengths of Materials
Credit Hours: 3
Lecture Hours: 2
Laboratory Hours: 2
Prerequisite(s): MATH 128 or higher
Restricted to students in the following programs:
Construction Technology - AAS
Construction Management: Design and Building - BT
Architectural Technology - AAS
Architectural Design and Building - BT
Construction Technology - BT
Mechatronics Technology - BT
Mechatronics Design - AAS
Carpentry - AAS
Mechatronics Technology - AOS
Carpentry and Building Trades - AOS
Residential Construction - AAS
Selected topics include: analysis of basic forces, conditions for equilibrium, truss analysis, stress-strain relationships, riveted and bolted connections, investigation of simple beams by shear and moment diagrams, steel and timber beam analysis and design, and simple column analysis and design.
Student Learning Outcomes of the Course:
1. ACCE CT SLO #12 (CT.SLO.12) - Understand the basic principles of structural design
**This is required by our accrediting body ACCE and can not be changed**
2. Recognize the properties of different materials and integrate this into structural analysis.
3. Demonstrate knowledge of load tracing for residential, commercial, and heavy construction projects.
4. Identify applicable codes, test procedures, and specifications relating to structural design.
5. Describe the structural engineer’s role in the design and construction process.